Friday, June 17, 2011

Attic Owl Reading a Hoot!

Here's a tip: when among writers, one must do as writers do. If you're an introvert, like me, this means sharing your work, pretending that you're totally at-home in front of people and not about to commune with the floor of the banquet hall.

Fortunately, neither I, nor my lunch, spent any time bonding with the carpet. I was fourth, out of fourteen writers/readers, one of whom I'd met previously, at Donna Morrissey's workshop, and met a ton of cool people- superheroes, broken hearts, and the female posterior were only a few of the themes touched on tonight, and I'm honoured to have had the opportunity to participate in such a fantastic event. I also hope that Lee Thompson will now remember me as someone other than the girl who can never remember to attach files to her emails!

I also have a new respect for James Joyce, whose work was read aloud at the end of the night (The Dubliners is exactly the kind of stuff I love to read), by a woman whose speaking-voice held me for the entire six-page excerpt.

Tomorrow night, I'll be helping one of the girls I met at the reading to set up another event similar to this one, except that we'll be choosing and reading works by famous black poets; the event takes place at Kimberly: the Studio, on Archibald St. in Moncton, and includes poetry, a film-screening, and even dancing! What's better, this can all be yours for only a $5 cover-charge, so come & join the party!

Write on,
L.

No comments:

Post a Comment