Tuesday, May 17, 2011

More Epic Adventures of Aspiring Writerdom.

As anticipated, Donna's workshop was a total blast! All of us (14 women and one man) had one helluva time learning how to combine fiction and truth- to make our characters so real and flawed that they are, in the readers' eyes, like old friends. The exercises opened our minds and helped us to see that even our antagonists are human, somehow- take M, for instance. He's as whiny and annoying as they come, but there's a part of him that's real (and lovable), too- the awesome Lynn Casey and I talked about this over lunch, and the ensuing conversation was more amazing than even our cheeseburger-meals!

I love meeting other writers- hearing their stories, getting to know them and the passion they feel for their own projects. Assuming that we all become literary phenomena (sooner, rather than later), I will buy a copy of everyone's published work- including some 60 copies of my own, which I will display proudly whilst admiring my own artistic genius. Gotta have a sense of humour!

The most-important thing I learned today, though (besides that writers are awesome- d'uh), was rediscovering my voice. When we shared some of our work (exercises we'd done in class), I read a poetic prose-piece that I'd written about Ron/my bro-in-law, and Donna said:

"That's your voice right there. I hope that your entire novel is written like that because, if it isn't, you're going to have to rewrite every, single line!"

Did I mention that I love writers?

Off to rewrite every, single, damn line of that manuscript- it's not going to write itself, after all.

Signing off,
L.

2 comments:

  1. Laura it was such a pleasure meeting you! I am eager to get to know your characters more when I read my signed copy of your book! That writing workshop sparked me back to life...and the book signing the next night was awesome too! I couldn't believe nobody from the workshop showed up...except me and Helene. I am working away at my homework assignment....a little stuck right now...that writing with a gun to my head stresses me right out!
    Lynn Casey RN
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the feeling is mutual! I'm really sad about not being able to make it to the signing- darn work, interfering with my writer-esque hobbies!

    I'm slowly chipping away at the assignment as well. The other day, I was working on my word-web in the living-room when, all of a sudden, it hit me like a busload full of emo-kids! You'll do fine- your writing is great, & it goes without saying that you are, too. ;)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete