Sunday, May 29, 2011

Life In This Corner, [Un]Scripted.

EXT.   DOWNTOWN OTTAWA   DAY

Fade in-

Closeup of a pretty outdoor cafe on Bank Street. K. and M. are standing outside, drinking coffee and chatting about whose life sucks more.

K.
She scares me, you know. That part, 
where that thing happens? Not fair!
What has gotten into that author of
ours, M.? She used to be so nice!

M.
I don't know. Last I heard, she was
planning to send this thing off to an
agent, or something- how could she
leave us alone? I might break a nail!

Just then, THE AUTHOR appears. She is in her mid-20s and not bad-looking; she is carrying a brown bag and a binder, and takes a sip of her diet Coke as she approaches them.

THE AUTHOR
Hey, you guys.

K.
What do you want now?

M.
Let me guess... They hate us. 
Everyone does. It must be because
I'm so hardcore. No one gets me.

THE AUTHOR
Whoa, you guys... What's up
with all the negativity? I was
just going to tell you what an
awesome time I had at the NB
Film Co-Op's screenwriting class.

K.
That's awesome! I've always 
wanted to be in a movie!

M. 
Just what your big head needs, K.
You're nuts, and so is Ms. Author-
Lady. Nothing good ever happens 
to us... Why is that? Because you

(points to The Author)

are a sadist, and clearly hell-bent
on exploiting us for fun and profit!

K.
Wait a sec. Look, Author Lady...
I'm glad you had fun. Even though
I whine about most of your plot
and really don't like sharing the
stage with a spotlight-hog like M.,
we've had some good times. I'll 
definitely be in your script... 
if you'll have me, that is.

THE AUTHOR
Of course, K. You're pretty cool,
and I'd love to have you... and
M., too, if he changes his mind.
He'll probably warm up to the idea
when he finds out that there's a 
guitar-solo for him in Act Five.

M. 
Really? I think I'm in love,
Author Lady... Sign me up!

THE AUTHOR
I knew you'd both see things
my way. I must be going now,
but I'll be back to check in
later. Peace out, you two!

(Aside)

Now, where did I put that pencil-
sharpener?

EXIT AUTHOR
FADE OUT.

No comments:

Post a Comment